Friday, May 24, 2013

Endoscopy & Colonoscopy

Yep. I'm about to go there.

A few weeks ago I went to have my endoscopy and colonoscopy procedures done. Let me tell you, it's not pretty. But let me also tell you, it's the best feeling ever when it's over with. You work so hard to get the prep down and keep it down, and your reward comes when it's all over!

Before you read this, I should warn you, things are about to get weird.

The most interesting moments can be found below: 
  • First, reading what I can eat 
    • That list was about 3 items long. I had jello, chicken broth, and fluids fluids fluids; Nothing red or purple though. This gets difficult when you wait until the last minute and don't have time to make jello and the only pre-made jello is red and orange.
  • Talking to my 40-something year old boss about a procedure her mom had done a few years ago, but she's not yet had done herself, when I am 20 years old, and asking God, why me!?!?
    • I know, I know. I'm dramatic.
  • Spending an hour downing the shots of prep and then sucking on lemons and limes as chasers just 2 days before my 21st birthday.
    • Lets just say... Tequila went down pretty smooth after 2 liters of salted-lysol tasting colonoscopy prep.
  • Waiting the hours and hours for something to happen... and waiting, and waiting
    • Turns out it didn't work on me like most people! My gastro doc suggested I have the split colonoscopy prep (movi-prep) in which you're given one liter before bed and one liter in the morning, which I appreciated because of my issues with nausea. All the instructions and everything I read said it doesn't take long before the chain reaction begins. But I'm here to tell you that if this happens with you, all is well, and the prep in the morning will help things move along just fine. My paperwork said my prep worked completely... Gross.
  • Getting blood drawn before the procedure after not having eaten for 40 hours.
    • My suggestion... don't get your blood drawn before this! I was getting all too close to the passing out zone.
  • The nurse putting my IV in and saying "don't pull your arm away!"
    • Mhmm. 'Cuz that's really going to help. I love nurses, but come on. At this point I had no strength.

  • Getting wheeled into the O.R. and my doctor asking if I wanted anything
    • I remember saying "I want Food. I'm really really hungry." Then she proceeded to ask if it was OK if she played music and turned on Lady Gaga. HA! My doctor's pretty cool. 
  • My memory is blank from that point on until I was at the Gluten Free Club fondue party that I, being the over-committing freak that I am, decided to plan for that night.
    • I should add: I was very, very frightened about the anesthesia for this procedure. A few years ago I had oral surgery in which I woke up during the surgery and was unable to communicate. I shared this with my doctor and we've since realized that I metabolize meds very quickly, so she gave me benadryl to help me sleep more. This. Was. Amazing.
    • I should also add, that they are right when they say, not to make any legal decisions, drive, or expect to remember any conversations you have. The whole night is a bit of a blur, even though I felt completely coherent!
  • Best part? Receiving the paperwork afterwards that says "schedule another colonoscopy at age 50; Woot woot!"

The next day I woke up and went to ride my horse. I know, not the best idea. This didn't go like it did in my head and after trotting a few steps it hit me, in the gut, "a foreign object was inside my body yesterday." 

That night, at midnight, I turned 21. So, I won't share the details of what happened, but lets just say they told me no alcohol for 24 hours, and midnight wasn't until hour 33. I would also say, that they spray your throat with numbing medicine. I felt good for the entire day. But with my 21st shenanigans and such my throat hurt bad the next day, and that was not just the tequila.

So, the good news is that I felt well enough to think I could ride. Looking back, I would not have scheduled this procedure right before my 21st birthday. Despite feeling better after 24 hours, I still did not feel great. 

My Tips before your colonoscopy:

  • Drink enough fluids. Gaterade & Powerade are helpful to stay hydrated if you easily tip over like me. 
  • Read the instructions more than 24 hours before and make your yellow/green/blue jello early!
  • Make some good chicken broth, because that's all you're gonna be eating.
  • Schedule your colonoscopy early but not too early.
  • Mine was at 12:30 and by the time they started it was almost 2 pm. That was a long time to wait without eating. On the other hand if you schedule too early, you have to wake up earlier for the prep in the morning, if you have a split prep. You have to give yourself at least 4 hours before the procedure to drink the prep, and get rid of it. 
  • Buy lemons and limes - and use them! Even though I felt nauseous by the end of my prep, the lemons and limes were a big help. 
  • Bring something in the bathroom with you to soothe your tush. Also bring some entertainment (I brought my knitting and nearly finished a scarf).


Good luck and may the force (gross) be with you!

Much Love, 

Emily


3 comments:

  1. How did you find out if/that MoviPrep is gluten-free??

    Thanks, Sharman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience, and suggestions. After having tummy troubles all my life (I'm 52 now, wasn't diagnosed with celiac until age 45), I've finally scheduled a colonoscopy for late June. I'm taking the day off before it too. I'm scared, scared that it will hurt, and more scared of what they might find, but I promised my daughter, and my doctor, that I will do it. The nurse said the prep ( dulcolax, miralax, and Gatorade) is gluten free. I just hope I won't remember anything, like when I had my endoscopy. It's time to see what damage has been done, from a lifetime of being undiagnosed. Thanks for the advice, I'll be getting jello at my next shopping trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your experience, and suggestions. After having tummy troubles all my life (I'm 52 now, wasn't diagnosed with celiac until age 45), I've finally scheduled a colonoscopy for late June. I'm taking the day off before it too. I'm scared, scared that it will hurt, and more scared of what they might find, but I promised my daughter, and my doctor, that I will do it. The nurse said the prep ( dulcolax, miralax, and Gatorade) is gluten free. I just hope I won't remember anything, like when I had my endoscopy. It's time to see what damage has been done, from a lifetime of being undiagnosed. Thanks for the advice, I'll be getting jello at my next shopping trip!

    ReplyDelete